23 March 2011

Corny Chicken

Now that I've starting corning meat, along with help from a hefty paycheck, I can't stop corning or better known as brining.

I started with a refrigerator check though and found that I had beets and a giant Costco box of spinach that needed to be eaten. I roasted the beets in the oven at 450°F for 30 minutes (they were tiny), and combined the following into a dressing:

6 tbs balsamic vinegar
3 tbs oil
2 tbs honey
1 tbs dijon mustard
1 lemon juiced
1 hefty pinch of crushed black pepper

I tossed all this together with the baby spinach and homemade feta cheese that Gbomb gave me. With that, I give you this:


For the chicken thighs, I brined them for 4 hours in:

1 gallon water
1 c sea salt
1/2 c sugar
5 tsp pink salt
5 tsp dried garlic
5 tsp dried onion
5 tsp dried tarragon
3 tbs black peppercorns
1 bunch parsley
2 bay leaves
2 lemons halved and squeezed and tossed in.

Note: I used the massive excess of brine to brine a whole chicken.

Finding a pack of Bockwurst at the back of the bottom shelf in the icebox, I grilled those too with the thighs.

Post-grill:


Plated:

Note the rosy corned color of the chicken. I made it superscharf with German toothpaste tube mustard.

1 comment:

undercover caterer said...

Corned chicken? You are a mad scientist.